Urinary and bowel incontinence are physical conditions that can have a significant emotional impact on both the sufferer and their family caregiver, causing feelings of isolation, embarrassment, and even depression.
If you’re on this page because you have a loved one living with incontinence and you’re searching for a product that is discreet, effective, and that doesn’t keep them from enjoying their daily life, the brief guide below will help you make a wise buying decision.
Factors to Consider
When choosing the most suitable incontinence product for your loved one, there are certain factors to consider. These include the following:
- Absorbency – Incontinence products can vary in their absorbency, but they can usually provide up to 12 hours of leakage protection. Get one based on the severity of your loved one’s incontinence.
- Design – Incontinence is not an easy thing to accept, and preserving your loved one’s dignity is an important aspect of your purchasing decision. As much as possible, you want to get something that is less conspicuous— looking and feeling like normal underwear.
- Fit – No matter the type or severity of incontinence your loved one is dealing with, taking the correct measurement and sizing is essential for ensuring leakage protection as well as optimal fit, care, and comfort.
- Other Factors – Practicality, odor control, comfort, and breathability are a few of the other factors worth keeping in mind when choosing an incontinence product.
Your Best Options
There are a vast variety of products available for incontinence, some of which only address bladder incontinence, while there are those that are suitable for both bladder and bowel incontinence issues.
The product types listed below are excellent choices: they are less obtrusive and versatile and can provide superior leakage and odor protection.
- Absorbent pads or liners- Disposable and designed for both sexes, absorbent pads are built with adhesive strips, which hold them in place in the underwear. Absorbent pads can hold 8 or ounces of urine, protect the skin from moisture, and block the odor.
- Disposable underwear- They come in a variety of colors and designs (day and overnight versions). Some of them look similar to elastic-banded underwear, while others are built with tapes on the sides, so they are adjustable and easily removed.
- Incontinence underwear- They look a lot similar to everyday panties and briefs; the only difference is they are equipped with a built-in cloth pad and waterproof liner, thus capable of absorbing 10 or more ounces of urine.
This type of incontinence product is washable and available in a variety of colors and designs. Like absorbent pads, incontinence panties and briefs are made to control odor and keep moisture from the skin.
Where to Buy Incontinence Products
While you can purchase incontinence products at your local drug store or grocery, it isn’t often the best or most practical solution. The products can turn out much more expensive and often lack variety.
Medical suppliers offer a vast selection of high-quality products and equipment, which are often more cost-effective, especially if you are buying items in bulk. They can also have your order mailed or delivered directly to your door as soon as required. Also, if you are unsure of the type of product that is most suitable for you, a medical supplier can provide you with information and suggestions to help you make a well-informed decision.
Incontinence Product Supplier in Southwest Texas
At Reliance Medical, we offer the full range of home care and rehabilitative supplies and equipment—including incontinence products. If you also need to purchase specialized items, we will gladly assist you in your search and provide you with complete information about the availability, cost, and expected delivery time.
To find out more about our products and services, or to order specific items for immediate delivery, call us at (877) 588-7422. We also have locations in Alpine, Presidio, and Monahans.